The story goes that on the night of 18 February 1743, a tremendous storm hit Florence with thunder and lightning. The city was mourning Anna Maria Luisa, Electress Palatine, last of the House of Medici. An elegant, sophisticated woman, a great lover of art and the masterpieces, she gave the best gift a city such as Florence could ever receive: she signed the famous “family pact” with the Lorena family and donated the majority of the family property to the city and its citizens, on the understanding the collection were never to be transported “or removed from the Capital or from the State of the Grand Duchy... Galleries, Paintings, Statues, Libraries, Jewels and other precious objects... of the inheritance of the Serenissimo Grand Duke, so they should remain as ornament of the State, for Public use and to attract the curiosity of Foreigners”. With this pact, Anna Maria Luisa ensured Florence did not suffer the fate of other cities, such as Ferrara, Urbino or Parma, whose artistic treasures had been plundered at the death or departure of the last member of their reigning families.Today, Florence pays tribute to this important figure with historic commemorations and open museums. Exclusive Connection advises you not to miss her collection of jewels, housed in the Silver Museum in Palazzo Pitti. Take a look at this short preview!